Sunday 5 May 2013

IBB, an icon in the history of my life-Chief Alex Akinyele


akinyele1-150x150In this interview with the Sun Newspaper, Chief Akinyele talked extensively about his years in the Nigerian Customs Service, how he became secretary general of the Nigeria Institute of Public Relations, NIPR, and later president of the institute. The former minister of information, told series of events in detailed form and how he saved Nigeria from civil war! Enjoy the Read.
(Article courtesy of http://sunnewsonline.com)

 Interview By Femi Adesina and Beifoh Osewele
Why were you so much in a hurry to quit the Customs and Excise? Were you forced out?
I was not pushed out of the Customs. I voluntarily retired. I gave notice of my retirement and so many organisations bade me farewell.  I had to leave because I knew that if Chief Oyeleye left before me, some people might decide to push me to the port. Even though I could speak eloquently and confidently about the Customs, I wasn’t a proper officer. I had never treated an entry. I knew that if I was posted to the port, the boys there would give you the paper and a red biro, you sign it, and that would be your death warrant. I saw that coming. But as long as Chief Oyeleye was there, I could still retain my position as PRO.
What made you that think without Oyeleye there, you couldn’t remain as PRO?
Let me give you an example why I thought so: there was a time Mr. Duke went on holidays. While he was away, some officers of the Customs maritime authorities union said: ‘This Akinyele is collecting his promotion regularly because he is not working in a dangerous place where he would be queried.’ They said if I was sent to the port and I was queried, then I would be marking time like they were doing. They tried to push me to the port, but the deputy chairman, Mr. Umoren said he would not be the one to send Akinyele to the port because the chairman was not around. He told them that my being the PRO was the making of Mr. Duke. When I saw that the fire was raging, I went to the secretary to the Board to say I wanted to go on leave. As soon as Mr. Duke was back, I returned to my job.
To come back to the question, by virtue of my service in the teaching service commission, I had qualified for voluntary retirement after I2. I was adequately qualified. I make bold to say that I am the only officer of the Customs to date who has got a national send-off.  The chairman of that event held at Ikoyi Hotel was Mr. Oyeleye, chairman of the Board of Customs and Excise at that time. I got applause, applause and encomium.
When you look back at those years, how do you feel?
I took my job as PRO of the Customs very seriously. During the period, I became secretary general of the Nigeria Institute of Public Relations, NIPR, and later president of the institute. I did my best to ensure that the institute had a chapter authenticated by the Federal Government. Before I became what I became in public relations, the Federal Government took the practice of public relations as a southern affair. I knew that if it remained like that, the Federal Government might just decide not to give a charter. So, I made up my mind to establish chapters of the institute in the north. My first point of call was Benue State, followed by Plateau and Kano, Bauchi, Kaduna and Kwara and Ogun states. And then, I gave life to the anaemic chapter in Ibadan. After I had done that, I said to myself, you are from Ondo, there is no chapter. So, I went to establish a chapter in Ondo.
In fact, I was using my own personal resources for this. As soon as I left the Customs Service, I joined Cybele Cosmetics Limited as chairman/managing director. So, I had the money to spend.  After establishing all the chapters with my personal money, and with the assistance of people like Mr. Tola Aramide Noibi and Iyere Isibor, I then decided to write the constitution of public relations practice in Nigeria for presentation to the Federal Military Government. Before then, Chief Bob Ogbuagu had made an effort to get us a charter, but it was too expensive for him. But immediately we did the homework we did around the country, it sailed through. From there, we took off and we had a draft decree for the establishment of public relations practice as a recognised government practice. Prince Tony Momoh helped me very much to chase, and to follow the bill. When he left, I linked myself up to Anthony Ukpo. He was of tremendous assistance as well. As God would have it, the decree was passed. And the first minister to execute it was myself, Alex Akinyele.
Do you still collect your pension?
Of course. I have my pension. I have been very happy.
How much?
My pension now…it keeps jumping. The last one I collected was about N97, 000. It is a lot of money. And if you want it to be a lot, don’t go there every month. Go there when you are really broke.
Who are the other people who have touched your life?
Continue Read-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have A Say - Leave A Comment